Engineering Studies will suit students who are looking for a pathway into engineering industries and/or students who want to include a “hands-on”, practical, applied learning study that contributes to their VCE or VCAL program.
RT Ringwood Training/Ringwood SC is the RTO (Registered Training Organisation), offering pathways to further training at Ringwood Training for SBATs (School-based Traineeships) and Certificate III Apprenticeships.
Engineering Studies aims to:
- Provide pre-employment training and pathways into the engineering industry
- Provide students with engineering skills e.g. basic machining, fabrication, welding & use of tools
- Provide experience in, and knowledge of, a range of occupations at engineering trade level
- Enable students to make more informed choices in the selection of career paths
- Enable students to gain a recognised credential and credits for further training.
- Nationally accredited course – 22209VIC Certificate II Engineering Studies
- VCAL: credits in the Industry Specific Skills Strand and structured work placement in Work Related Skills Strand.
Applicable to Foundation, Intermediate and Senior VCAL
- VCE: credit in up to 4 units over 2 years: 2 Units at Unit 1&2 level, and a Unit 3&4 sequence
- ATAR and Study Score: Students may receive an ATAR contribution for the Unit 3&4 sequence of VCE VET Engineering Studies by undertaking scored assessment to achieve a study score. The study score can contribute directly to the primary four or as a fifth or sixth study. Scored assessment consists of three coursework tasks and an end of year examination.
Career and Employment Opportunities:
- 22209VIC Certificate II in Engineering Studies provides skills that are necessary for a work-based engineering apprenticeship that leads into a range of engineering tradesperson careers within the engineering and manufacturing industry. Occupations include roles for the conception, design, manufacture, assembly, installation, repair, replacement, packaging and sales of a wide range of products.
- SBAT (School-based Apprenticeship or Traineeship): MEM20105 Certificate II in Engineering. Ringwood Training delivers the training.
- Apprenticeship: MEM30305 Certificate III Engineering Fabrication Trade. Ringwood Training is the RTO that delivers the training.
- Other TAFE, Private Provider and Higher Education programs.
Why Engineering with RT?
- Employment opportunities
- Exceptional, custom-built workshop facilities, equipment and resources
- Strong links with employers, local industry and education and training sector
- Links with local VET Clusters including Eastland and Mullum VET Clusters
- Industry trained staff
- Easy access via public transport – Ringwood and Ringwood East Railway Stations
- RT Ringwood Training as an RTO (Registered Training Organisation) delivers Cert II and Cert III training.
Days & Venue:
- Course will be delivered over two years at Ringwood Training, located at Ringwood SC, 3 Hill St, Ringwood East
- First Year VCE/VET Units 1 & 2, Wednesday 12noon – 4.30PM
- Second Year VCE/VET Units 3 & 4, Wednesday 2.30 – 7.00PM
- Other times by arrangement.
|VCE VET Units 1 & 2 22209VIC Certificate II Engineering Studies|
|Core Units||Unit of competence title||Hours|
|MEM13014A||Apply principles of OH&S in the work environment||10|
|MEM16006A||Organise and communicate information||20|
|MEM16008A||Interact with computing technology||20|
|MEM18001C||Use hand tools||20|
|MEM18002B||Use power tools/ hand held operations||20|
|VU20909||Develop an individual career plan for the engineering industry||20|
|VU20912||Perform basic machining processes||40|
|VU20913||Apply basic fabrication techniques||40|
|Units 1 & 2 TOTAL||190 hrs|
|VCE VET Units 3 & 4 22209VIC Certificate II Engineering Studies|
|Core Units||Unit of competence title||Hours|
|MSAENV272B||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices||30|
|VU20910||Produce basic engineering sketches and drawings||20|
|VU20911||Handle engineering materials||20|
|MSS402040A||Apply 5S procedures||40|
|VU20915||Perform basic welding and thermal cutting processes to fabricate engineering structures||60|
|Units 3 & 4 TOTAL||200 hrs|
|TOTAL HOURS||390 hrs|
Includes Home School VET Coordinator recommendation.
How to Apply:
Complete an Application Form available from the VET Coordinator at home school or directly from Ringwood Training or online from www.rt.vic.edu.au/. VET Clusters including Mullum and IMVC also have application processes to be completed.
2018 Course Fees: No increase
|VCE VET Units||Materials ($)||Tuition ($)||Total ($)|
|Units 1 & 2||350||1600||1950|
|Units 3 & 4||350||1600||1950|
NB: RT will bill the Home School for the Total Fee. The Home School will bill the student/parent/guardian; the amount to be paid by the student will be determined by the Home School. Please check with the Home School regarding the amount to be paid.
For further information, contact:
David Wilson, Engineering Coordinator: 9845 7562
Shayne van der Heide, Centre Manager: 9845 7561